Emeril's Meatloaf with Oatmeal
If your family loves meatloaf as much as Emeril's, get them into the kitchen to help assemble this simple, winning meatloaf recipe with oatmeal. Whip up some mashed potatoes and a vegetable, such as green peas or steamed carrots, and you've got a well-rounded meal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, September 2010
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces turkey bacon, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (preferably 85% lean) or a blend of ground turkey thighs and breast
- 1 1/4 cups chili sauce (sweet) or ketchup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook bacon, stirring, until almost crisp, about 4 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook until vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add oats and evaporated milk. Let cool.
Add turkey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 tablespoons chili sauce and stir well to combine. Transfer mixture to a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan and smooth top. Spread remaining chili sauce over top. Bake until meatloaf is cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted in center should read 165 degrees), about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let cool in pan 20 minutes before slicing.