These crispy cookies pair perfectly with our Espresso Ice Cream.
- Yield: Makes about 6 dozen
Source: The Martha Stewart Show
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 cup coarse sanding sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt.
Beat butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and egg yolk, then the grated and crystallized gingers. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the molasses. Beat until well combined.
Shape teaspoons of dough into balls, and roll in sanding sugar. Space 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
Bake until cookies are flattened and edges are dark golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.