Jalapeno Corn Muffins
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for tin, melted
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
- Unsalted butter, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush the cups of a standard 12-cup muffin tin with melted butter, and set aside. Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and sour cream in a medium bowl until combined, and set aside. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, jalapenos, and corn in a large bowl until combined.
With a rubber spatula, fold buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture until well combined. Fold in melted butter. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let muffins cool in tin 5 minutes. Turn out into a basket or bowl lined with a clean kitchen towel; cover to keep warm. Serve with butter.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, March Spring 2004