Chopped Tomato Salad With Toasted Garlic
We used a colorful combination of beefsteak and red, yellow, and orange cherry tomatoes, but any ripe tomatoes would work. Serve the salad as a sandwich condiment or a side dish for grilled fish or chicken.
- 1/2 pound ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 1/2 pound ripe cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs oregano, leaves picked from stems
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and cut into small pieces
Core beefsteak tomatoes, and cut into small bite-size chunks. Slice cherry tomatoes in half. Transfer tomatoes to a serving dish, and set aside.
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook just until it is golden brown. Remove from heat; let cool slightly, and add oregano.
Season tomatoes with the salt and pepper. Pour warm garlic mixture, including olive oil, over the top. Add vinegar and olives; toss well to combine. Serve.