Arroz con Pollo
Cuban black beans are a perfect accompaniment with this chicken and rice dish.
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- Hot water (about 150 degrees)
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 whole chicken breasts, bone in and skin removed, each half cut into three triangular pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined, and minced
- 2 1/2 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Cilantro, for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place rice in a medium bowl, and cover with 2 inches of hot water. Let rice soak 10 minutes. Transfer to a colander, and drain. Rinse with cold water, and set aside.
Place canned tomatoes, onion, and garlic in the jar of a blender. On high speed, blend the mixture until pureed, about 30 seconds. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine 4 teaspoons oregano with cumin, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Rub each piece of chicken with the mixture, and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven. Cook the chicken in two batches over medium-high heat until browned on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pot before browning second batch. Transfer all chicken to a bowl, and set aside. Add reserved rice to the remaining oil in pot, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until rice becomes slightly golden, about 2 minutes. Add jalapeno, and cook 1 minute more. Add tomato puree, and cook, stirring, until the liquid has been absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add broth, peas, cherry tomatoes, and chicken; bring to a simmer over high heat.
Cover, and transfer pot to oven. Bake until chicken is cooked through and liquid has been absorbed, 25 to 35 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, and serve warm.