Clam Pan Roast with Sausage and Fennel
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/4 pound kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 small red potatoes, cut in half
- 3 small bulbs fennel (about 3 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 small leek, cut into 1/4-inch rounds, washed
- 1/4 cup Pernod, or other anise liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted clam juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges each
- 1/4 cup fresh tarrragon leaves, coarsely chopped
In casserole over medium heat, cook garlic and sausage, breaking up meat, about 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat; cook kielbasa until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Add to bowl.
Arrange potatoes in pan, cut side down; cook until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn; cook about 5 more minutes, until just tender. Spread fennel among potatoes. Cook about 10 more minutes, stirring often.
Add leek, Pernod, clam juice, salt, and pepper; cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Return sausages to pan; mix to combine. Add clams, cover, and cook about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook, covered, until clams open, about 8 minutes; discard unopened clams. Stir in tarragon, and serve.