Simple Tomato Sauce
Transform a can of whole peeled tomatoes into a flavorful sauce for pizza or pasta, simply by adding garlic, red pepper flakes, and fresh oregano.
- Yield: Makes 2 1/2 cups
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, (optional)
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano leaves
In a medium saucepan, heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high. Add minced garlic cloves; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add red-pepper flakes (optional) and whole peeled tomatoes, breaking them up as you go. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a rapid simmer. Cook, stirring often, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in minced fresh oregano leaves.