Basic Grilled Pizza Dough
Use this dough to make our Grilled Asparagus and Ricotta Pizza.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 1 pound dough or four 10-inch pizzas
Source: Everyday Food, July 2010
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl and brushing
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
Pour 1 cup warm water into a medium bowl; add sugar and sprinkle with yeast. Let stand until foamy, 5 minutes.
Whisk oil and 1 teaspoon salt into yeast mixture. Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until liquid is incorporated (dough will appear dry). Turn out onto a floured work surface. Knead until dough comes together in an elastic ball, 2 minutes. Transfer to an oiled medium bowl; brush lightly with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; set in a warm, draft-free place until dough has doubled in bulk, 45 minutes. Punch down dough and cover; let rise another 30 minutes.
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 4 equal pieces. Let rest 15 minutes before using.