Lamb Stew with Young Vegetables
This recipe for lamb stew with young vegetables is from Andre Soltner's "The Lutece Cookbook."
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb (breast, shoulder, or both), thoroughly trimmed of fat, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, trimmed, peeled, washed, and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon (scant) sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 Bouquet Garni
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-by-1/4-by-1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup young carrots, peeled, washed, and cut into 1 1/2-by-1/4-by-1/4-inch pieces
- 8 pearl onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup young white turnips, peeled, washed, and cut into 1 1/2-by-1/4-by-1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
In a 4-quart heavy-bottomed pot, heat 1 tablespoon butter over high heat. Add lamb and brown well on all sides.
Add carrot, onion, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar over meat and vegetables and continue cooking, stirring, until the sugar has caramelized, 2 to 3 minutes.
Drain fat from the pot. Add flour and stir until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add tomato puree and bouquet garni. Pour over enough water to just cover meat and vegetables. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer about 1 hour.
Transfer lamb to another 4-quart heavy-bottomed pot and add potatoes. Strain remaining liquid from the first pot over the lamb in the second pot, firmly pushing the contents through the strainer. If the liquid does not quite cover the lamb and potatoes, add enough water to just cover. Season with salt and pepper. Place the second pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the young carrots, pearl onions, and turnips in a deep, wide skillet. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, remaining scant teaspoon sugar, and remaining 1/2 cup water. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until water has completely evaporated and vegetables are tender and glazed; set aside.
Bring a medium pot filled three-quarters with water to a boil over high heat. Add salt and return to a boil. Place green beans in a mesh strainer basket; transfer basket to boiling water and cook green beans until tender. Remove basket and drain green beans. Place peas in mesh basket; transfer basket to boiling water and cook until peas are tender. Remove basket and drain peas.
Skim fat from surface of meat mixture. Divide stew evenly between 4 bowls. Add vegetables to bowls with lamb and serve immediately.