Gazpacho with Shrimp and Mussels
Sweet shrimp and plump mussels may not be traditional gazpacho ingredients, but they turn this spicy tomato-based soup into a hearty meal.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1999
- 10 beefsteak tomatoes, (about 5 pounds)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 small jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 pound mussels, (about 14), scrubbed
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, (about 15), peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound yellow cherry tomatoes
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using a paring knife, score nonstem end of each tomato with shallow hatch mark. Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds, until skin peels easily. Transfer tomatoes to a bowl of ice water. Peel and halve them after they cool. Remove and discard most of the seeds, without wasting pulp.
Place tomatoes in the jar of a blender, and add garlic and half of 1 jalapeno. Blend mixture, working in batches if necessary, until smooth. Season mixture with lime juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Transfer to refrigerator, and chill.
Meanwhile, combine shallot, white wine, and 2 cups water in a large skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, and add mussels. Cover skillet, and let mussels cook until shells open, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mussels from skillet to a bowl. Cool slightly, cover with plastic, and refrigerate.
Return skillet to heat, and bring to a simmer. Add shrimp, and poach until shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer shrimp from poaching liquid to a bowl, let cool slightly, and refrigerate.
Dice the remaining 1 1/2 jalapeno peppers. Slice yellow cherry tomatoes in half.
Adjust seasoning of chilled tomato puree with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped jalapenos, cucumbers, red onion, and sliced cherry tomatoes. Ladle soup into bowls. Divide seafood among bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with chopped cilantro, and serve.