Be sure to use this garam masala recipe when making Suvir Saran's Spicy-Sweet Chicken Wings -- both recipes are featured in "American Masala."
- 1 tablespoon dried miniature rosebuds (optional), stems removed and discarded
- 1 (1-inch) piece cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon green cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 dried red chile
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
In a medium skillet, heat roses, cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamom pods, peppercorns, cloves, and chile over medium-high heat, stirring often, until cumin is browned, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder or coffee mill along with nutmeg and mace and grind to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 months.