Avgolemono gets its thick consistency from eggs; they're tempered by hot chicken broth and whisked into the soup just before serving. Shredded chicken breast makes this soup filling yet healthy.
- 5 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken broth
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (1 small whole breast or 1 large half breast), trimmed of fat
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, (about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 cup fresh dill sprigs
- Freshly ground pepper
Bring broth to a simmer in a 4-quart pot over high heat; add chicken. Reduce heat; simmer gently until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a bowl. Reserve broth in pot. Let chicken cool slightly, and then shred with a fork into bite-size pieces.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo; cook until al dente. Drain. Add orzo and chicken to reserved broth. Bring broth just to a gentle simmer, and then reduce heat to low.
Beat together eggs and lemon juice in a medium bowl until smooth. Ladle 1 cup hot broth into egg-lemon mixture, whisking constantly until mixture is warm to the touch. Stir the egg-broth mixture into the broth in the pot. Stir in the dill, and season with pepper.