Super Squid Linguine
This delicious linguine recipe is courtesy of chef Jamie Oliver and can be found in his book, "Cook with Jamie."
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2008
- 14 ounces squid, cleaned, cut lengthwise to open into flat pieces, scored, and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch strips, plus 8 whole squid bodies, cleaned
- 1 pound linguine
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 to 2 fresh red chiles, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon (optional)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Mixed greens, for serving
Insert the blade of a chef's knife into the body of one of the whole squid. Holding knife parallel to work surface, slice the portion of the squid that is facing upwards crosswise. Remove from blade and repeat process with remaining squid bodies. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add linguine and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, 3/4 of the chiles, parsley, and strips of squid; cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add peas and wine, if using, and continue cooking until sauce has reduced slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season squid bodies with salt and pepper and add to pan, cook until golden brown. Remove from heat.
Drain pasta, reserving some of the cooking water. Add pasta to large skillet and gently toss with squid mixture and a few tablespoons cooking water. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with 1/4 cup mint and squeeze over lemon, if desired.
In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, remaining chiles, and remaining teaspoon mint leaves. Divide greens evenly between four plates, top each with two squid bodies. Drizzle over olive oil mixture; squeeze over lemon, if desired. Serve salad and super squid linguine immediately.