Spring Greens Soup
You can also garnish this delicate soup with scented-geranium leaves and flowers.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 1999
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups (about 1 pound) finely chopped shallots
- 4 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) chopped leeks, white and light-green parts only
- 4 cups (about 1 3/4 pounds) chopped sweet onions
- 4 cups (10 ounces) chopped scallions, white and light-green parts only
- 12 cups Homemade Chicken Stock
- 10 cups (about 2 pounds) chopped Boston or other soft lettuce, plus 1 leaf, julienned, for garnish
- 6 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1/2 cup packed fresh dill sprigs, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups (about 2 1/2 bunches) packed fresh tarragon leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup (about 1 bunch) packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Melt the butter in a medium stockpot set over medium-low heat. Add the shallots, the leeks, the onions, and the scallions. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 20 minutes. Add 4 cups chicken stock, and stir well.
Add the lettuce, and cook, covered, until the lettuce has wilted, about 10 minutes. Add snipped chives, dill, tarragon, and parsley; cook, covered, until very aromatic, about 10 minutes more.
Fill the jar of a blender halfway full with mixture; blend until well combined but some texture remains, being careful not to puree. Transfer soup to a large bowl; blend remaining mixture. Rinse out the stockpot.
Return soup to stockpot, and set over medium heat. Stir in the remaining 8 cups stock; season with salt and pepper. Cook until heated throughout. Before serving, garnish with dill, tarragon, and the julienned lettuce.