Source: The Martha Stewart Show, April 2010
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers
- 1 1/2 cups Pomi strained tomatoes
- 8 to 10 salt-packed anchovy fillets
- Coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/3 cup Gaeta olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for serving
Rinse capers and soak overnight, changing water frequently.
Place Pomi tomatoes in a medium saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced by half; set aside.
Place anchovies in a small bowl and set it in the sink under a stream of cold running water for 20 minutes. Drain anchovies, pat dry, and coarsely chop.
Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add 3 tablespoons salt; return to a boil.
Meanwhile, heat oil, onion, garlic, and anchovies in another large pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until onion is lightly browned and anchovies have broken down, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and red-pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add pasta to boiling water and cook, according to package directions, until just al dente. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta water.
Add pasta and reserved pasta water to tomato mixture; stir and toss over medium heat until pasta is well coated. Stir in capers, olives, and parsley; serve immediately with grated cheese on the side.