- Servings: 12
- 5 pounds medium red-skinned potatoes
- 1 medium white onion, finely grated
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup Hellmanns Mayonnaise
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Hard-boiled eggs sliced, for garnish (optional)
Place potatoes in a large pot, and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until soft when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 30 minutes. Drain, and allow to cool slightly. Peel potatoes, and slice into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Combine potatoes, onion, water, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Toss gently between two large bowls, trying not to break up potato slices. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add mayonnaise; mix gently between two large bowls until well combined and creamy. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours; the mixture will thicken as it stands. Garnish with parsley and/or sliced hard-boiled eggs, if desired.