- 4 small yellow onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or low-sodium canned chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 4 small turnips, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 two-pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt, (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper, (to taste)
- 8 cups turnip greens
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
In a large saucepan, saute onions in olive oil until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots and parsnips, stir to combine. Add tomatoes and stock, combine well. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.
Add bouquet garni, turnips, butternut squash, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Cover and cook until vegetables are fork-tender, about 25 minutes.
Add turnip greens and fennel. Cook until greens are wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning by adding salt and pepper to taste. Divide the polenta among six bowls, and serve immediately, topped with the fall ragout.