Under 30 Minutes
Penne with Cream, Smoked Salmon, and Chives
Taste this dish before adding more salt, as some smoked salmon can be very salty.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces penne rigate or other short pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium. Add shallot; season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add wine and cook until evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add cream; bring to a boil. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot. Add cream mixture to pasta pot, along with lemon juice, smoked salmon, and chives. If necessary, adjust consistency with reserved pasta water and season with salt and pepper.