This delicious paella recipe is from "Top Chef" Hosea Rosenberg of Jax Fish House.
- 1 pound Spanish chorizo
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and julienned
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic, very thinly sliced, plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 2 cups medium grain Spanish rice, such as Bomba paella rice
- 6 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium Basic Chicken Stock
- 16 mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 16 Manila or little neck clams, scrubbed
- 16 extra-large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 pound calamari with tentacles, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (4-to-4 1/2-pound) Roast Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
Heat a grill pan over high heat. Place chorizo on grill and cook, turning once until outside is charred and inside is heated through (if chorizo is pre-cooked), about 1 minute per side, or cooked through (if chorizo is not pre-cooked), about 4 minutes per side. Slice chorizo crosswise and set aside.
Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a 13 1/2-inch paella pan over medium-high heat. Add both peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until vegetables have softened, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup sliced garlic, and cook, stirring, one minute more. Add saffron and rice; stir to coat. Add stock and reduce heat to low; cook until rice is almost done, but still very al dente, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mussels, clams, shrimp, and calamari; stir to combine. Add wine, lemon juice, parsley, oregano, thyme, remaining tablespoon chopped garlic, and shallots; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until mussels and clams have opened and shrimp and calamari are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add any accumulated liquid from cooking seafood along with peas; stir to combine. Top with seafood, chorizo, and chicken; season with salt and pepper. Transfer paella pan to oven and cook until rice is slightly crunchy, about 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.