Use good-quality seedless raspberry jam for the filling of this simple torte.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, room temperature, plus more for pans
- 1 1/2 cups unblanched, whole almonds
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- Marzipan holly leaf and berries, for decoration (optional)
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans. Line with parchment; butter parchment. In a food processor, process almonds and sugar to a powder. Sift together cornstarch, flour, baking powder, and salt.
In an electric mixer, beat 2 eggs with almond-sugar mixture on low speed until blended, about 1 minute. Add remaining eggs, one at a time, beating on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes and scraping down sides of bowl after each egg. Beat in liqueur.
Sprinkle cornstarch mixture over egg mixture; fold in. Fold in melted butter. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 15 minutes, rotate pans between oven shelves, and bake until cake tester inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean, 15 to 17 more minutes. Line two wire racks with parchment; spray paper with cooking spray. Turn cakes out of pans to cool on parchment-lined cooling racks for 45 minutes.
In a small saucepan, warm jam over low heat, stirring occasionally. Spread warm jam on one cake layer; top with second layer, and dust with confectioners' sugar. Decorate with marzipan if desired.