Tuna Nicoise Sandwich
This sandwich, our take on the French pan bagnat, is perfect for outdoor eating. Its flavor improves when you make it ahead.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans oil-packed tuna (6 ounces each), drained
- 1/4 English cucumber
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 8-inch round loaf country-style bread
- 3 tablespoons jarred olive tapenade
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 large eggs, hard-cooked and sliced
In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and mustard; season with salt and pepper. Transfer 2 tablespoons dressing to another bowl; toss with tuna. To remaining dressing, add cucumber and onion; toss to combine.
Cut bread in half horizontally; remove most of soft interior crumb. Spread tapenade on bottom half. Top with basil leaves, then egg slices; season with salt and pepper. Top with tuna, then cucumber mixture; close sandwich.
Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic and place between two baking sheets. Weight with a heavy skillet. Let stand 1 hour (or refrigerate, up to overnight). To serve, cut into quarters.