- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2009
- 1 1/2 pounds apples (about 3 medium), peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (unthawed) cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for dish
- 1/2 cup pecan halves (2 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 3 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Quarter apples lengthwise, then thinly slice. Toss in a large bowl with cranberries, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt until evenly coated.
Butter an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish. Mix pecans, flour, oats, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl until combined. Work in butter with your fingertips until topping is crumbly, with pea-size chunks.
Spread apple mixture in prepared dish; sprinkle with topping. Bake until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.