Lilly's Pork Noodles
This delicious pork noodle recipe is by Lilly, one of Martha's talented cooks.
- Servings: 2
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, May 2009
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 2 cups peeled and chopped fresh bamboo root
- 5 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown bean paste (made with soybeans)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound hand-pulled Chinese noodles
- 1 (10-ounce) package firm salted tofu, chopped
- 8 stalks asparagus, trimmed and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- Sambal oelek, for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Heat 1 tablespoon safflower oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Add the bamboo root and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Remove from wok and set aside.
Add remaining safflower oil to wok. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion and continue to cook, stirring, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
Carefully stir bean paste into wok until well combined. Add pork and cook, stirring, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, add noodles to boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Drain.
Stir tofu into pork mixture and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add asparagus and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
Divide noodles evenly between 2 plates. Spoon pork mixture over noodles; garnish with Sambal oelek and cilantro, if desired, and serve immediately.