After the last of the turkey is alchemized into a rich stock for soup, the surplus can be tucked away in the freezer to serve as insurance for the long nights ahead.
- 1 turkey carcass, from a 12- to 15-pound turkey, cut into large pieces
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and halved crosswise
- 1 stalk celery, halved crosswise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 10 to 14 cups water
Place carcass, carrots, celery, onion, and peppercorns in a large stockpot. Add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and gently simmer, skimming foam as needed, for 2 hours. Strain, and discard solids. Skim fat from top. (Stock can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.)