Under 30 Minutes
With okra and shrimp in the freezer, this satisfying meal is just moments away from the dinner table. Serve the shrimp masala with Coconut-Cilantro Chutney, rice, naan (Indian flatbread), jarred mango chutney, lime wedges, and sliced shallots and chiles.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen large shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined (tails left intact, optional)
- Coarse salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 pound okra (partially thawed, if frozen), sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small fresh green chile, such as serrano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (kalustyans.com)
- 1 1/4 cups light coconut milk
Pulse garlic, ginger, and water into a paste in a blender. Season shrimp with salt.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Cook shrimp, about 2 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add 2 tablespoons oil to skillet. Working in batches, cook okra for 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet if needed. Cook shallot and chile for 1 minute. Add garlic paste and garam masala. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 minute. Return shrimp to skillet; cook for 1 minute. Add okra; cook for 1 minute. Season with salt.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, February 2011