Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
This recipe for roasted chicken and vegetables from "Everyday Food: Great Food Fast" is a classic meal, perfect for any night of the week.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2009
- 1 acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (10 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crumbled
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine the squash, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and oil in a roasting pan; season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Roast until the squash is beginning to soften and all the vegetables are heated through, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, lift up the skin from the chicken breasts; rub the flesh with rosemary and some salt and pepper. Replace the skin; season the chicken all over with more salt.
Remove the roasting pan from the oven, and place the chicken, skin side up, on top of the vegetables. Return to the oven; continue roasting until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes.