- Servings: 4
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 whole chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), quartered
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and diced
- Egg Dumplings
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup sour cream
In a Dutch oven, heat the 1/4 cup vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions, and saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in garlic, sweet paprika, and 2 cups water.
Add chicken, and season with salt and hot paprika. Cover, and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Add tomato, and simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken; set aside.
Return Dutch oven to stove, and add green peppers. Simmer for 20 minutes.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin, and discard. Cut meat from bones, keeping breasts and thighs intact. Return bones to Dutch oven with sauce, and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add yellow pepper, saute for 3 minutes.
Divide dumplings between 4 plates. Add chicken pieces. Remove bones from sauce, and pour over the chicken. Garnish each plate with a sprinkling of yellow pepper, and a dollop of sour cream. Serve immediately.