Black Beans and Corn
Canned green chiles can be found in the international- or Mexican-food sections of most supermarkets.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1997
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) black beans
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup canned green chiles, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and very soft, about 10 minutes.
Drain the black beans, and reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid. Add the beans, the reserved bean liquid, and the remaining ingredients, except the parsley, to saucepan; cover, raise heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a serving dish, and garnish with the parsley leaves. Serve immediately.