Wax-Bean Salad with Chorizo
This quick summer salad combines cooked wax beans with crisp slices of chorizo sausage. Cooking the beans in the chorizo drippings imparts a rich, smoky flavor to the dish. Try using a few slices of bacon, chopped, in place of chorizo.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2010
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces dried chorizo, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound wax beans, trimmed
- 4 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a plate.
Add shallot to skillet and cook, stirring, until it begins to brown, 2 minutes. Add beans and 1/4 cup water. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until water evaporates and beans are crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Return chorizo to skillet and stir in vinegar and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.