Chicken Stock to Make 1 1/2 Quarts
- 5 pounds chicken bones
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, cut into thirds
- 2 celery stalks, cut into thirds
- 2 large or 4 small leeks, cut in half lengthwise and well washed
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 whole black peppercorns
Place all the ingredients in an 8-quart stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
As the stock approaches a boil, remove any impurities that rise to the top by skimming with a ladle. Reduce the heat and simmer the stock for 3 to 4 hours, continuing to skim impurities from time to time while the stock cooks. Taste after 3 hours for the strength of stock you want.
Remove from the heat and let the stock sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then ladle through a fine strainer. Once strained, remove the fat from the stock by skimming with a ladle (see Helpful Hint). Cool by placing the container of strained stock in an ice water bath, then refrigerate.