Alexis's Sweet Potato Pie
This scrumptious sweet-potato pie, created by Martha’s daughter, Alexis, strikes all the right balances: Its consistency is dense but not heavy, its flavor sweet but not saccharine, its filling smooth but still somewhat textured. When buying fresh sweet potatoes, choose small- to medium-size examples with smooth, unbruised skins.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 Prebaked Pie Crust Prebaked Pie Crust
- Whipped Cream, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce potatoes several times with the tines of a fork. Roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel, discarding skins, and place flesh in a medium bowl. Mash well; set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt, until well combined. Whisk in cream.
Add egg mixture to cooled sweet potatoes, and whisk until thoroughly combined. Whisk in melted butter. Pour into baked crust. Bake until filling is set and the tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely before slicing. Serve topped with whipped cream.