Cod with Fennel and Potatoes
In this recipe, all of the ingredients go into just one skillet -- and come out as a delicious and healthy meal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2004
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (reserve fronds for garnish)
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 strips orange zest, 1/2-inch-wide
- Coarse salt
- 4 skinless, boneless cod fillets, (6 ounces each)
In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until onion is soft, about 7 minutes. Add tomato paste; stirring to combine. Add fennel, potatoes, chicken broth or water, and orange zest; season with salt and pepper; stirring to combine. Cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Season fish with salt and pepper. Place on top of vegetables in skillet; reduce heat. Cover; simmer until fish is opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with chopped reserved fennel fronds.