Bruschetta with Tomatoes, Cucumbers, and Basil
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 baguette
- 2 to 3 peeled garlic cloves, for rubbing
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cucumber, and basil; season lightly with salt and pepper. Add olive oil and vinegar, and toss well to combine. Let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour but no longer than 3 hours.
Heat broiler or grill pan. Cut bread diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Brush both sides of each slice lightly with olive oil; grill or broil on both sides until toasted.
Rub hot bread lightly with garlic cloves on one side only. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and top with tomato mixture. Let stand a few minutes to allow juices to soak into bread before serving.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, June/July 1992