Make this vanilla-scented applesauce to serve alongside our Potato Rosti.
- Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- 14 ripe firm apples (about five pounds), such as Gala, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more as needed
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
Combine all ingredients in a wide, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon and adding more cider as needed to prevent scorching, until apples have broken down, 50 to 60 minutes. Mash any large pieces with the spoon. Add more sugar and spices, as desired.
Remove from heat; discard cinnamon and vanilla pod. Serve warm or at room temperature with rosti potatoes.