Light Artichoke and Mushroom Lasagna
- 1 1/2 pounds cremini or button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 cups drained canned artichoke hearts (two 13.75-ounce cans)
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cups prepared pasta sauce
- 8 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 3/4 cups grated Parmesan (3 1/4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with racks in middle and upper third. Divide mushrooms between two rimmed baking sheets. Toss each with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until tender, 20 minutes, stirring mushrooms and rotating sheets halfway through. Let sheets cool on wire racks.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add artichokes and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Add lemon zest, chives, and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 3 minutes. Transfer artichokes to a medium bowl.
Spread 1 cup sauce in an 8-inch square baking dish. Top with 2 noodles. Layer with half the artichokes, then 1 cup sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Top with 2 more noodles, half the mushrooms, 1 cup sauce, and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients, reserving the last 1/4 cup Parmesan. Cover lasagna loosely with foil and bake on top rack until sauce is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes. (Place a rimmed baking sheet on middle rack to catch any drippings.) Remove lasagna from oven and heat broiler. Sprinkle with reserved Parmesan and broil until cheese is browned and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes before slicing.