Shortbread Candy Bars
Use up leftover chocolate candies and candy bars from the kids' Halloween haul to create these crumbly shortbread bars.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups assorted chocolate candies or roughly chopped candy bars (12 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and salt on medium-high until light and fluffy, 3 minutes. With mixer on low, add flour in three additions and beat until combined (dough will be crumbly). Press dough evenly into an 8-inch square baking dish. Bake until golden brown and firm, 30 to 35 minutes.
Scatter chocolate chips on top of shortbread. Bake until soft, 1 minute. With the back of a spoon, spread chocolate evenly over shortbread. Scatter candies over top. Let cool on a wire rack 30 minutes. Refrigerate briefly to set chocolate, then cut into 16 bars.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2010