Red Snapper Veracruzano
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2003
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 4 (6 ounces each) skinless snapper fillets
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Lime wedges, for serving
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and jalapenos; cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and 3/4 cup water; cook until almost evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in olives and oregano.
Season snapper fillets with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium; nestle fish in sauce. Cover, and cook until fish is opaque, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.