Roasted Eggplant and Chickpea Soup
Roasted eggplants and chickpeas bring lots of texture and flavor to this hearty soup. For a vegetarian version, use water instead of chicken broth.
- 2 medium eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, diced medium
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- Fresh oregano (optional)
- Plain yogurt (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together eggplant, onion, garlic, and 4 teaspoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer in a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, leaving a wide strip of empty space at one end. In bowl, toss chickpeas with remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Transfer to empty space on sheet. Roast until eggplant is golden and cooked through and chickpeas are slightly crunchy, about 35 minutes.
Set chickpeas aside. Peel garlic and add to a medium pot, along with eggplant, onion, and broth. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high. With a potato masher or back of a wooden spoon, mash some eggplant until soup is thick and chunky. Stir in chickpeas and season to taste with salt and pepper. To serve, top with fresh oregano and plain yogurt, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2010