Roasted Beef, Mushroom, and Barley Soup
Roasting concentrates the flavors of the beef and mushrooms, which gives this hearty barley soup a deep, rich character.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2010
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound cremini or button mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps halved
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, toss together steak, mushrooms, shallots, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast until beef and mushrooms are browned, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a medium pot and add broth and barley. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high, then reduce heat and simmer until barley is soft, about 12 minutes. To serve, season to taste with salt and pepper and top with parsley, if desired.