Roasted Beef, Mushroom, and Barley Soup
Roasting concentrates the flavors of the beef and mushrooms, which gives this hearty barley soup a deep, rich character.
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound cremini or button mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps halved
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, toss together steak, mushrooms, shallots, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast until beef and mushrooms are browned, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a medium pot and add broth and barley. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high, then reduce heat and simmer until barley is soft, about 12 minutes. To serve, season to taste with salt and pepper and top with parsley, if desired.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2010