Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
This wonderful recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies -- New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's favorite -- is courtesy of the Gracie Mansion.
- Yield: Makes 3 dozen medium-size cookies
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, May Spring 2009
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
In a large bowl, using a spatula, cream together butter, sugar, and salt. Add egg, vanilla, and 1/4 cup water; mix until well combined.
In another large bowl, mix together flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. Fold into the butter mixture until well combined. Add raisins and stir until well combined.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, scoop out cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Transfer baking sheets to oven, and bake until edges begin to brown, about 20 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.