Put a sweet spin on this traditional cold soup that will make hot days a little more bearable.
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 quarts
Photography: Sang An
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July
- 5 cups peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped watermelon, plus 1 cup finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 3/4 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Juice of 1 lime (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
Combine 5 cups watermelon and the cranberry juice in the jar of a blender, and puree until mixture is smooth. Pass through a fine sieve into a large bowl or plastic storage container, discarding pulp. You should have 3 cups strained liquid.
Add cucumber, celery, bell pepper, onion, herbs, lime juice, vinegar, jalapeno, and remaining cup chopped melon to watermelon liquid, and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator until soup is well chilled, at least 1 hour. Serve, or store in refrigerator up to 1 day.