Crispy Fried Green Tomatoes
Nothing compares with the juiciness of summer tomatoes. This year, go beyond the expected with this side dish of tart, crispy fried green tomatoes.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2008
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 2 medium green tomatoes (both ends sliced off), each cut crosswise into 4 slices
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, such as safflower
In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and set sauce aside.
Place flour, eggs, and cornmeal each in a separate bowl, and season each with 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning.
Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Working with a few slices at a time, dip tomatoes in flour, then eggs, and finally cornmeal.
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Working in two batches, fry tomatoes until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side; transfer to baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately with sauce.