Under 30 Minutes
Fried Green Tomatoes
Nothing compares with the juiciness of summer tomatoes. This year, go beyond the expected with this side dish of tart, crispy fried green tomatoes, which is bound to become your meal's main attraction.
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 2 medium green tomatoes (both ends sliced off), each cut crosswise into 4 slices
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, such as safflower
In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and set sauce aside.
Place flour, eggs, and cornmeal each in a separate bowl, and season each with 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning.
Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Working with a few slices at a time, dip tomatoes in flour, then eggs, and finally cornmeal.
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Working in two batches, fry tomatoes until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side; transfer to baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately with sauce.