Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
- Unsalted butter, for pan
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup Italian walnut liqueur, such as Nocello
- 3/4 cup walnut halves, toasted and finely chopped
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Creme fraiche, for serving
- Apple Compote, for serving
- Candied Walnuts, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a 9-inch round cake pan; set aside. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Put eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat on high speed until light in color, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add granulated sugar; beat until mixture is pale and thick, about 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low; mix in oil and liqueur. Lightly fold in flour mixture in 3 batches using a rubber spatula. Fold in toasted walnuts. Spread batter into prepared pan.
Bake cake until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, 20 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Turn out cake onto rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve with creme fraiche, apple compote, and candied walnuts.