High-quality canned and jarred tuna in olive oil lends fresh-from-the-sea flavor to these cakes.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2007
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/3 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 jalapeno chile (ribs and seeds removed), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
In a large bowl, stir together tuna, egg, cilantro, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and jalapeno. Mix gently until ingredients just hold together.
Using a packed 1/3-cup measure of tuna mixture per patty, shape into 8 cakes.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Working in batches if necessary, cook cakes until golden brown and crisp on the outside, about 2 minutes per side. Serve hot, accompanied by salsa, and garnish with cilantro sprigs.