Tomato paste gives plain white rice a rusty hue to create this classic Latin side dish.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown around edges, 6 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Add long-grain white low-sodium chicken broth or water, and dried oregano; season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let rice sit, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.