Roasted Beets with Mint-Yogurt Sauce
Dress up succulent roasted beets with a simple mint-yogurt sauce. A hint of ground cumin brings out the vegetable's earthiness.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2010
- 1 bunch medium beets or 3 bunches baby beets (about 1 1/2 pounds total), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, toss beets with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover dish tightly with foil and roast until tender when pierced with a knife, 45 to 60 minutes, depending on size. When cool enough to handle, rub beets with a paper towel to remove skins.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, mint, cumin, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Spoon yogurt sauce over beets and serve.