Pasta with Beet Greens, Blue Cheese, and Hazelnuts
Hazelnuts add crunch to this creamy pasta. Toasted almonds or walnuts work, too. Don't throw out those beet greens! They're great with the robust flavors in this dish.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2010
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound linguine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Greens from 2 bunches beets (about 1/2 pound), rinsed, tough stems removed, and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 ounces blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola, crumbled
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add greens and cook, stirring, until tender, 2 minutes. Add pasta and hazelnuts; toss to combine. Add cheese and toss, adding enough pasta water to create a creamy sauce, 1 minute. Drizzle with oil and serve.