Beet Salad with Arugula and Oranges
Beets add not only bright-red color to this arugula side salad but also lots of nutrition. Peeling and cutting the beets into small pieces reduces their cooking time.
- 1 bunch medium red beets (about 1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 bunch arugula (1/2 pound), trimmed
- 2 oranges, peel and pith removed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place beets on a large piece of foil on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Fold foil around beets and crimp ends to form a packet. Roast until tender when pierced with a knife, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove beets from foil and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 2 teaspoons oil with vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add arugula, oranges, and beets and toss to combine. Top with pistachios and serve.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2010